Friday, September 30, 2011

Afraid of What the Future Holds?

Remember the whole Y2K scare…when the world was afraid that technology would not be able to keep up with us when the clock rolled over into the 21st century?   Well, on January 1, 2000, we discovered that everything was okay and the technology held strong--it was able to keep up with the human race. 
Now that the 21st Century is here, I am thinking quite the opposite…we (the human race) are scared that we are not able to keep up with technology!  I am not an ancient dinosaur, I graduated high school in the year 2000, yet I already feel I am running to keep up with all of this new and changing technology.  Although I do not feel the most competent in the technology skill of the 21st century, I realize as an educator, it is my job to prepare my young students for this rapidly changing world.  I am using a SmartBoard for the first time this year.  During the training, I wasn’t so sure I would be able to incorporate this type of technology and activities into a classroom with first graders.  However, I practiced with it, created lessons and daily center activities and I have immersed my six year old students with daily activities on the SmartBoard.   
Technology is not the only 21st skill (refer to my previous blog) my students are going to need in the ‘real world’.  Two other skills that are extremely important are communication and collaboration.  I feel my young students are going to be well prepared for these skills.  They are constantly faced with activities where they have to collaborate and communicate with their peers, such as working collaboratively in groups of 4-5 students to complete center activities (even on the SmartBoard).  I am stepping away as a ‘leader’ and taking the role as a ‘facilitator’.  I am giving my students opportunities to become the ‘leaders’ all while they are sharpening their 21st century skills!   
For all the teachers afraid of the next new thing in technology…fear not!   

No comments:

Post a Comment