Friday, September 23, 2011

Techy Talk

Technology is the hot topic in schools now.  Have you ever thought about how 'tech savvy' you are?  I recently took a personal technology audit and was hit with the reality of how little I know.  I thought that since I am always showing my fellow educators how to do certain things on Word that I was pretty tech savvy.  Then, I got a wakeup call when I started my master’s program.  Prezi (bless you!), Moodle (yum??), Wiki (what!?)…what in the world is all of this!?  I have learned after one class that I am nowhere near as tech savvy as I thought I was.  Although I do meet some of the NETS for teachers standards, I do not feel that I am proficient in the majority of these standards.  My school corporation as a whole is attempting to advance in this growing field of technology.  With time, I know my coprporation and I will excel.  In my classroom, the main barrier for using technology is TIME!  For example, this year is my first year having a SmartBoard in my classroom and I have enjoyed creating lessons on it but there have already been days when I go to use my SmartBoard lesson and I can’t find it or the board freezes.  I must not have any fear of technology.  Technology is not going to disapper--it is only going to progress, so I must face it head on and do the best I can with it.  With technology practically progressing at the speed of light, my goal is to become knowledgeable in various types of technology so that I may better educate my students and prepare them for the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment